SPORTS & RECREATION
Clearwater and the surrounding Tampa Bay area thrive on all manner of sports competition and are the home of many nationally known teams.
- Since 1947, Clearwater is proud to host the Philadelphia Phillies spring training. The Phillies are the oldest, continuous, one-name, one-city franchise in all of professional sports
- The Phillies’ Clearwater Threshers play from April to August in the Florida State League.
- The Toronto Blue Jays spend their spring in Dunedin, while the New York Yankees are in Tampa.
- The Major League Tampa Bay Rays call St. Petersburg’s home the rest of the year.
- Travel with your favorite team to cheer them on against football’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers and hockey’s Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Professional and professional-amateur golf tournaments are held yearly at several of our fine resorts.
- Numerous road races, bicycle races, triathlon events, swimming, canoe/kayak races and marathons are held year-round including Clearwater Super Boat.
- The Outback Bowl, held annually on New Year’s Day, features great college football.
While the sport scene for spectators is crowded, the area has always been noted for its participatory sporting activities.
- The Clearwater Beach Marina is home to the largest recreational fishing fleet on the West Coast of Florida. Discover charter or party fishing boats.
- Pier 60, open 24 hours a day, offers a full service bait house with gear rental and sales, live bait, snacks and beverages. Fishing season is year round.
- Kayak through bay islands and bird rookeries with the opportunity to see dolphins, great blue herons and more.
- Charter your own private boat with a captain to take you snorkeling, shelling or to your own private island.
- Dive on one of more than 42 artificial offshore reefs along the coast of Pinellas County, home to coral, sponges and a wide variety of undersea creatures.
- Golf at our 26 public and semi-private courses.
- The United States Tennis Association (USTA), the national governing body of tennis, has named McMullen Tennis Complex one of the “Top Facilities” in the country.
- Clearwater is home to both the National and International Shuffleboard Halls Of Fame.
- Sail away under billowing sails in true luxury on three-masted schooners or on a Hobie Cat, pram or windsurfer.
- Pier 60 Park, with the only covered children’s playground directly on the sand, has two play areas with age appropriate equipment-one for preschoolers and the other for 8-12 year olds.